10 Cereals Rich in Iron
- Rice Krispies 30.4mg/100g (US) (US) 8.0mg/100g (UK & Ireland) (UK & Ireland)
- Cornflakes 28.9mg/100g (US) 8.0mg/100g (UK & Ireland)
- Quaker Quick Oats 19.8mg/100g.
- Wheat Biscuits contain 12mg per 100g.
- Bran Flakes 8.8mg/100g.
- Muesli 8.8mg/100g.
- Special K 8mg/100g.
- Shredded Wholegrain Pillows 7.6gm/100g.
Which breakfast cereals contain a high amount of fiber and iron?
Iron-Rich Cereals for Breakfast – Almost everyone, regardless of age or gender, begins the day with a bowl of fortified cereal and a glass of milk (or juice). In the majority of cases, breakfast cereals are fortified with iron during processing. However, certain cereal brands contain a higher iron content than others. Cereals for breakfast that are rich in fiber and iron are listed below:
|Product (100g)||Iron Content (mg)|
|Ralston Enriched Bran Flakes Cereals||67|
|Kellogg’s Complete Oat Bran Flakes||63|
|Multi-grain Cheerios General Mills Cereals||62|
|Kellogg’s Complete Wheat Flakes||62|
|Kellogg’s Product 19||60|
|Whole Grain Total General Mills Cereals||60|
|Dry Pln Malt-o-Meal Cereals||55|
From the previously mentioned products, the Ralston Enriched Bran Flakes contains the most iron, with approximately 67 mg per 100 grams. The remaining cereals also contain high levels of iron. You can adjust the serving size based on your daily iron needs, as excessive iron in the body can damage the liver and heart.
Cereal for Breakfast. Fortified, ready-to-eat cereals and hot breakfast cereals, such as oatmeal and grits, are some of the best sources of iron at breakfast time. Iron is added to cereals to compensate for what is lost during processing. However, there is no minimum requirement for food fortification.
How much iron do cereals contain?
1. White Bread – When grains are milled, the wheat germ and brans that contain all of the nutrients, including iron, are removed. By reintroducing the grains along with the iron, white bread regains the same nutritional value for iron as whole wheat. A slice of iron-enriched white bread contains 0.9 milligrams of iron per slice.
Iron is an essential mineral, and it is important to consume sufficient amounts. Iron contributes to a reduction in fatigue and tiredness. It is also essential for normal energy metabolism, oxygen transportation, cognitive function, immune function, and the formation of red blood cells and hemoglobin.
If we do not consume enough iron, our bodies will not function as efficiently as they should. Some cereals are an excellent way to ensure adequate iron intake. Cereals fortified with iron are an excellent way to add iron to your diet. Active Iron is a safe and easily absorbed iron supplement if you cannot meet your body’s iron requirements through diet alone.
Here is the link to our store!