How Long Does Fresh Ground Breakfast Sausage Last? – Fresh ground breakfast sausage is typically purchased raw and is among the most perishable sausage meats. However, depending on how it is stored, ground breakfast sausage typically stays fresh for a few days to several months.
- If you intend to freeze the ground breakfast sausage, you are not required to adhere to the “best before” guidelines.
- When refrigerated at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, raw ground breakfast sausage maintains its freshness for no more than two days ().
- If you store raw ground breakfast sausage below 0 degrees Fahrenheit without breaking the cold chain, the meat will remain safe to eat indefinitely.
However, it is optimal to consume the item within two to three months of purchase. Due to freezer burn, the quality and flavor of the ground breakfast sausage will deteriorate thereafter.
- In addition, cooking the ground breakfast sausage prior to refrigeration or freezing typically extends its shelf life.
- Properly cooked ground breakfast sausage can remain fresh in the refrigerator for three to four days and in the freezer for up to four months.
- However, if you choose to purchase pre-cooked ground breakfast sausage, it is typically good for up to a week, unless the packaging specifies otherwise.
- Here is a synopsis:
|Refrigeration before opening||Refrigeration after opening||Freezer|
|Raw ground breakfast sausage||1 to 2 days||1 to 2 days||1 to 2 months|
|Cooked ground breakfast sausage||Not Applicable||3 to 4 days||2 to 4 months|
|Pre-cooked breakfast sausage||5 to 7 days||3 to 4 days||2 to 4 months|
Can I consume sausage after seven days?
All sausages, with the exception of dry sausage, are perishable and must be refrigerated or frozen. Uncooked fresh sausage can be refrigerated for one to two days; after cooking, it can be refrigerated for three to four days (40 °F or less).
Bacon and sausage –
|Product||Refrigerator (40 F)||Freezer (0 F)|
|Bacon||7 days||1 month|
|Sausage, raw – from pork, beef, turkey||1-2 days||1-2 months|
|Smoked breakfast links, patties||7 days||1-2 months|
|Hard sausage||Opened: 3 weeks. Unopened: indefinitely||1-2 months|
|Summer sausage labeled “keep refrigerated”||Opened: 3 weeks. Unopened: 3 months||1-2 months|
How long are cooked Jimmy Dean sausages shelf-stable in the refrigerator?
How Long Does Cooked Jimmy Dean Sausage Last in the Refrigerator? – The USDA has established guidelines for how long cooked sausages can be stored in the refrigerator. The timeframe depends on whether or not the package has been opened. If the package has not been opened, Jimmy Dean cooked sausage can be refrigerated for two weeks.
Within three to four days, cooked sausage must be consumed or frozen. Consuming or freezing cooked sausage before that time poses a risk of foodborne illness. If you are uncertain as to whether or not your sausage has gone bad, you should err on the side of caution and dispose of it.
How long can cooked sausages be stored?
The shelf life of cooked sausages is typically three to four days in the refrigerator and four months in the freezer, after which the flavor begins to diminish.