The combination of bacon and sausage –
|Product||Refrigerator (40 F)||Freezer (0 F)|
|Bacon||7 days||1 month|
|Sausage, raw – from pork, beef, turkey||1-2 days||1-2 months|
|Smoked breakfast links, patties||7 days||1-2 months|
|Hard sausage||Opened: 3 weeks. Unopened: indefinitely||1-2 months|
|Summer sausage labeled “keep refrigerated”||Opened: 3 weeks. Unopened: 3 months||1-2 months|
How long is breakfast sausage uncooked shelf-stable in the refrigerator?
Except for dry sausage, all sausages are perishable and must be refrigerated or frozen. Uncooked fresh sausage can be refrigerated for one to two days; after cooking, it can be refrigerated for three to four days (40 °F or less).
Fresh Sausages – The US government defines fresh sausages as “a coarse or finely ‘comminuted’ (reduced to minute particles) meat food product prepared from one or more types of meat, or meat and meat ‘byproducts’,” and they are sold uncooked. As such, these fresh sausages should be handled as you would any perishable food item.
- Fresh sausages should be stored in the refrigerator, and if they are left out for more than two hours, they should be discarded.
- Additionally, you should only purchase as much raw sausage as you can consume in a couple of days.
- According to guidelines from the USDA FSIS, an unopened package of fresh sausages will only last between one and two days in the refrigerator.
By cooking fresh sausages before placing them in the refrigerator, their shelf life can be extended to three to four days. The experts at the FSIS recommend placing cooked sausage in shallow containers for rapid cooling and then refrigerating it within two hours.
Can I eat breakfast sausage that has expired?
In the same way, sausage can go bad before the sell-by date expires, and it can also go bad after the sell-by date expires. This is why you must be aware of the sausage’s shelf life after the sell-by date. The shelf life of sausage is only three to four days after the sell-by date.
How Long Does Sausage Last in the Refrigerator? – Sausage can last between 1 and 4 days in the refrigerator, depending on whether or not it has been cooked. Uncooked sausage can be stored in the refrigerator for one to two days. The lifespan of cooked sausage is up to four days.
- The optimal quality of sausage stored in the freezer can be maintained for approximately six months when stored properly.
- There are additional factors that affect how long sausage lasts, such as storage conditions and preparation method.
- Unopened, prepackaged sausage can be refrigerated as soon as it is received and typically has a “sell by” or “use by” date.
If you are uncertain as to how long your sausage has been in the refrigerator, it is always prudent to err on the side of caution and dispose of it.